A very good CBT to learn about VMware Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
VMware View & ThinApp - David Davis
Video 1 Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Overview - Understanding the Options
You have probably used or are familiar with server virtualization. Now, virtualizing desktops is the next step in your virtualization process and this video will show you the various options that are available in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure to accomplish your desktop virtualization goals.
* What is VDI? * Why Should You Use VDI? * VDI Network Diagrams * Thin Clients * VDI vs. Terminal Services * The Most Popular VDI Options
Video 2 Introduction to VMware View 4
VMware View is the #1 desktop virtualization product available and in this video you will learn exactly what VMware View can do for your organization and the best possible way to prepare to install VMware View 4.
* What Does View Offer You? * Return on Investment * Requirements to Use View 4 * View 4 Components * View 4 Administrator Console and Client Display * How to Evaluate and Download View * View Resources
Video 3 Installing VMware View 4
In this video you will create a plan to install VMware View. Plus, you will work hands-on to install VMware View 4 and its components.
* Planning Your View Infrastructure * Advanced View Topics * Requirements to Install View Connection Server * Installing the View Connedtion Server * Installing View Composer * Preparing a Guest OS to be a Virtual Desktop * Installing the View Agent * Installing the View Client
Video 4 Deploying Virtual Desktops with View
In this video you will learn how to add an individual virtual desktop and point your virtual desktop to a virtual machine. Plus, you will learn how to use the VMware View Client to connect to that virtual desktop. By working through this process you will actually end up testing the entire View infrustructure that you’ve worked to create thus far.
Video 5 Automated Virtual Desktop Deployment with View Pools
In this video you will learn how to use a golden virtual machine snapshot to be used by VMware Composer to roll out the Automated View Pool. Plus, you will work hands-on with the View Client and web based View Portal to test the pool you’ve just created.
* Taking a Snapshot of the Golden Virtual Machine * Creating Automated View Pools * Giving Entitlements to Users and Groups * Testing Pools in the View Client and View Portal
Video 6 Adding a Terminal Services Pool in View
If you are already using Terminal Services then you will want to take advantage of the option to add a Terminal Services Desktop Pool. In this video you will work hands-on to Add a Terminal Services Pool in order to give your end users the flexibility to connnect to individual View Virtual Desktops or a Windows Server 2008 Remote Desktop Server/Terminal Server.
In this video you will learn how View Composer helps you to save disk space and to roll out desktop images. Plus, you will work hands on to upgrade multiple desktops to Windows 7 in under 10 minutes!
* How View Composer Helps You * View Composer Replicas * Desktop Recomposition * Desktop Refresh * Upgrading Multiple Desktops to Windows 7 in Under 10 Minutes
Video 8 Introduction to ThinApp 4
In this video you will learn how to utilize ThinApp to avoid application conflicts and run multiple revisions of the same application. Plus, you will learn how to utilize ThinApp so that you won’t have to install applications on end user desktops ever again!
* What is Application Virtualization? * How Can ThinApp Help You? * What Makes ThinApp Unique? * How Does ThinApp Fit in with Other Types of Virtualization? * ThinApp Usage Scenarios * Four Steps to Virtualizing an Application with ThinApp
Video 9 Installing ThinApp
In this video you will learn how to properly prepare for a ThinApp installation. Plus, you will work hands-on to install ThinApp on your own virtual machine.
* Requirements to Use ThinApp * Why You Need a "Pristine OS" * What Can and Cannot Be Virtualized * Downloading and Installing ThinApp and VMware Workstation * Installing ThinApp on the Virtual Machine * Taking a Snapshot of the Pristine OS
Video 10 Virtualizing Applications with ThinApp
In this video you will work to virtualize Office 2007 with ThinApp. You can use this same process to virtualize any application! Plus, you will work hands-on to create a ThinApp library of virtual applications that can be run across multiple operating systems.
* Four Steps to Virtualizing Office 2007 * Prescanning the Clean OS * Installing and Configuring the Applications * Postscan * Choosing Options and Building the Package * Post-Capture Customization * Testing the Application * Building a ThinApp Application Library
Managing VMware vSphere with PowerCLI - Hal Rottenberg
Video 1 Introduction to Power CLI
In this video you will learn how PowerCLI will help harness the power of scripting and automation from a real-world perspective. Plus, you will work hands-on to download and install PowerCLI.
* Videos in this Series * What is PowerCLI? * PowerCLI Window * How Does PowerCLI Work? * Why Learn PowerCLI? * Downloading the Toolkit * Installing PowerCLI * The PowerCLI Console
Video 2 PowerShell Basics
In this video you will learn the basics you need to know to use Windows PowerShell. Plus, you will work through real-world PowerShell demonstrations, so that you are able to understand and apply the core concepts of PowerShell in your own virtual environment.
* PowerShell the Command-Line Interface * PowerShell the script Engine * Variables * Automatic Variables * Operators * Cmdlets * Parameters * Typing Savers for the CLI * The Pipeline * Flow Control * Object-Oriented scripting * Reading a PowerShell script * Integrated scripting Environments (ISE) and More * Other Resources
Video 3-1 PowerCLI Concepts - Part 1
In this video you will work hands-on with the many components of PowerCLI to connect to and manage your vSphere environment.
* Support Matrix * vSphere Object Model * Managed Objects * Automation Objects * Connecting to vSphere and vCenter * PowerCLI Cmdlets * Inventory and Reporting * Deployment and Configuration * Maintenance and Operations * Removing Snapshots * Starting and Stopping VMs * Troubleshooting and Problem Resolution * Examining Virtual Machines
Video 3-2 PowerCLI Concepts - Part 2
In this video you will complete several hands-on demonstrations that involve working with objects in PowerShell. Then, you will learn how these objects are applied to PowerCLI.
* The Pipeline * Examining Objects * Filtering Objects * Exporting Data Using Export-CSV Cmdlet * Exporting Data Using ConvertTo-HTML Cmdlet * Reporting Features within vEcoshell * Using the vSphere API
Video 4 Power CLI in the Real World
In this video you will work through several different real-world demonstrations including building a Virtual Farm, finding old snapshots and creating linked clones.
* When to script? * From Console to script * Build a Virtual Farm * script to Create a New Farm * Find Old Snapshots * First script for Finding Old Snapshots * Second script for Finding Old Snapshots * Created Linked Clones * script for Creating a Linked Clone * Quick Tips and One-Liners
Video 5 PowerCLI Cmdlet Deep Dives
In this video you will take a detailed look at some PowerCLI Cmdlets and you will learn how the different parameters of these Cmdlets work to help you control your virtual infrastructure from the command line. Plus, you will work hands-on to create new and cloned virtual machines using the New-VM Cmdlet.
* Deep Dive into New-VM * Create New Virtual Machines from Scratch * Creating a Virtual Machine * Clone an Existing Virtual Machine * Cloning a Virtual Machine * Create a Virtual Machine Based on a Template * Deploying a Template * Register an Existing Virtual Machine * Registering a Virtual Machine * New-VM - Other Features * Read the vCenter Event Log with Get-VIEvent * Using Get-VIEvent * Event Properties * Working with Event Objects
The Cisco Nexus 1000V is Cisco’s powerful add-on network switch for VMware vSphere. In this video you will learn the details of what the Cisco Nexus 1000V is and how it is used. Plus, you will learn how to obtain and install the Cisco Nexus 1000V Virtual Supervisor Module.