Machete is a convenient utility for playing and editing multimedia files. Currently, Machete can edit video and audio files in AVI, ASF, WMV, WMA, MP3 and FLV (Flash Video) formats. The support of editing functions for other formats is planned for future versions of the program. With Machete, you can play some other multimedia files as well (in addition to those listed above). None of the editing operations in Machete requires re-encoding of video or audio streams. This is why the editing process is very quick and does not lead to any loss of video quality.
This puts Machete in the category of lossless video editors. Also, it means that you do not need a powerful and expensive computer to edit your video material. After a file is edited and saved, it retains its original format. With its extremely user-friendly design, Machete is an ideal solution for quick and easy "slicing" of your multimedia files. You can delete unnecessary fragments (e.g. cut out commercials), copy, move, mix and save individual pieces. This means that Machete combines the functionality of both video splitter (cutter, trimmer), video joiner (for joining multimedia files with exactly the same formats) and more.
New features include: The ability to edit MP3 (MPEG Layer-3) audio files (*.mp3) The ability to add an MP3 audio stream to video files supported for editing in Machete The ability to save an MP3 audio stream as a separate MP3 file Full Screen Panel Other minor improvements
With Machete, you can do the following: • Play AVI, ASF, WMV, WMA, MP3 and FLV video and audio files, as well as some others
• Edit AVI video files (*.avi) most video codecs supported: DV (Digital Video Type 1, 2), DivX, XviD and others most audio codecs supported: MP3 (VBR and CRB), AC3 and others
• Edit FLV video and audio files (*.flv) most video codecs supported: Sorenson H.263 (FLV1), On2 VP6 (FLV4) and H.264 (AVC) most audio codecs supported: MP3 and AAC
• Edit ASF, WMV video files (*.wmv, *.asf) and WMA audio files(*.wma) most video codecs supported: WMV, MSS and others most audio codecs supported: WMA, MP3 and others
* For all formats listed above, the following editing operations are available: cut, copy, delete and paste fragments of video files save video fragments as separate files insert one video file into another file of the same format
• Save video stream as a separate file
• Save audio stream as a separate file
• Add/Replace audio stream in video files
• Save a video frame as a bitmap (*.bmp) file
Version 3.6 (released September 3, 2010): Ability to edit MP4 (MPEG-4) audio and video files (*.mp4, *.m4a) Support for Windows 7 Several minor improvements