Gratuitous Space Battles is a unique strategy game where you play the role of supreme commander of a vast fleets of spaceships, battling against AI controlled or player-designed enemy fleets. GSB is not a conventional strategy game, but more of an RTS/Tower Defense hybrid, where you design the ships, position the fleet, issue pre-battle orders and then sit back and watch the explosive galactic mayhem take place. Did you include enough fusion beams on your capital ships? Maybe you should have assigned some fighters to escort those ships in the middle of the fleet? GSB also allows you to challenge other players by uploading your best fleets to serve as their opposition, in a massively single-player galactic smorgasbord of laser-death!
Gratuitous Space Battles aims to bring the over-the-top explodiness back into space games. The game is for everyone who has watched big space armadas battle it out on TV and thought to themselves 'I could have done a much better job as admiral'. This is not a game of real-time arcade twitch reflexes. GSB is about what ships you design, and what you tell them to do. Your individual ship commanders have total autonomy during the chaotic battle that unfolds. This is not a tactical game, it is a strategic one. These gratuitous space battles are not won by plucky heroes with perfect teeth, but by the geeky starship builders who know exactly what ratio of plasma-cannons to engines each ship in the fleet will need.
• Design your spaceships from a large range of interchangeable weapons, defenses and other components
• Some of the most gratuitous visual effects you will have seen in a 2D game
• Unique online challenge system lets you prove who is a better admiral, you or your friends...
• Sprawling battles with hundreds of ships let you slow down time and freeze frame to work out exactly why the SS Indestructible failed to live up to its name!
• [1.33] Bug Fix: Fixed bug where the challenges didn't update their ratings, attempts and so on, when you clicked refresh.
• [1.34] Bug Fix: Fixed calculation bug regarding targeting boosters so they work correctly now.
• [1.34] New Feature: Fighters returning to carriers now return to that module's location rather than the ships center.
• [1.34] Bug Fix: Fighters hopefully no longer 'stutter' in their movement.
• [1.34] New Feature: Missiles now launch on top of parent ship if observed, and MRV style decoys launch smoothly from the parent missile now.
• [1.34] Bug Fix: Moved debug files to an offshoot of \mydocs so they are always writeable, and fixed some minor debug reporting issues.
• [1.34] Bug Fix: Fixed bug where tutorial highlighted the wrong window on the ship design screen.
• [1.35] Bug Fix: Fix for missing DLL.
• Windows XP/Vista
• DirectX 9c
• 1.5 GHz
• 512 MB RAM
Resolution: Custom Fullscreen/Windowed