Gratuitous Space Battles v1.24 + Challenges
Developer: Positech Games
Protection: Custom activation
Release Date: 17-11-2009
Size: 55.1 MB
Gratuitous Space Battles is a unique strategy game where you play the role of supreme commander of a vast fleets of spaceships, battling against AI controlled or player-designed enemy fleets. GSB is not a conventional strategy game, but more of an RTS/Tower Defense hybrid, where you design the ships, position the fleet, issue pre-battle orders and then sit back and watch the explosive galactic mayhem take place. Did you include enough fusion beams on your capital ships? Maybe you should have assigned some fighters to escort those ships in the middle of the fleet? GSB also allows you to challenge other players by uploading your best fleets to serve as their opposition, in a massively single-player galactic smorgasbord of laser-death!Gratuitous Space Battles aims to bring the over-the-top explodiness back into space games. The game is for everyone who has watched big space armadas battle it out on TV and thought to themselves 'I could have done a much better job as admiral'. This is not a game of real-time arcade twitch reflexes. GSB is about what ships you design, and what you tell them to do. Your individual ship commanders have total autonomy during the chaotic battle that unfolds. This is not a tactical game, it is a strategic one. These gratuitous space battles are not won by plucky heroes with perfect teeth, but by the geeky starship builders who know exactly what ratio of plasma-cannons to engines each ship in the fleet will need.
• Design your spaceships from a large range of interchangeable weapons, defenses and other components
• Some of the most gratuitous visual effects you will have seen in a 2D game
• Unique online challenge system lets you prove who is a better admiral, you or your friends...
• Sprawling battles with hundreds of ships let you slow down time and freeze frame to work out exactly why the SS Indestructible failed to live up to its name!
• Mouse input system rewritten to use the windows mouse cursor, and to work much more fluidly than before.
• You can now no longer unlock a ship hull until its owning race is already unlocked.
• Leaving the deployment screen now always closes the module details dialog if it is open.
• Fixed crash bug where it crashed on fight or save if playing a challenge on a map that was not unlocked yet.
• Fixed minor graphics glitch where some beam weapons drew reflections very slightly before the beam hits a shield.
• Challenge history window now closes automatically when you leave the challenge screen.
• Fixed bug where the game would be too far zoomed in with large monitors and small maps, giving rise to a graphical glitch on the far right of the screen.
• Docked ships are no longer incorrectly drawn on the minimap.
• Added variable fighter squadron sizes feature.
• Fixed bug where the frigate point defense and automated point defense modules could become confused with each other.
• Fixed bug with fighters returning to carriers with multiple bays where they would dock at a bay with no supplies and then undock.
• Windows XP/Vista
• DirectX 9c
• 1.5 GHz
• 512 MB RAM
Homepage - http://positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/